Pages

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Our journey continues

Sunday June 18: Happy Father’s Day!

Sunday we wake up early and head to the train station to journey up to Grenoble, France. I head down stairs to the Starbucks next to the hotel to get a much needed white chocolate mocha. But to my surprise it was closed! YES I SAID IT WAS CLOSED!!!! The first ever Starbucks closed in the morning! What the heck?! Then I remember I am in Spain and no one rises before 9am. Gosh. No morning mocha for me. man.
My parents and the Grey’s return back to the states. Rj has to work in Grenoble, so we part ways from the others and board a train for a long trip north.

The first train we took was a couple of hours and then we had to change trains in Narbonne. Then we got another train (TGV, fast train) and we had to change again in Valence. That leg of the ride was awful only because Carter wasn’t feeling well, he was too hot and he cried a lot. Plus Rj and I had different seats so we couldn’t even sit together. UGH! The last train was even worse. We took it from Valence to Grenoble. That was a slow train and there was no AC! Carter didn’t like one either. It took us all day to get there but the scenery along the way was gorgeous. There were little towns after little towns, surrounded vineyards and castles dotted the hills along the way. Simply beautiful countryside, BUT unfortunately we did not have our camera (gasp, I know!) handy to capture the landscape! It was packed away. Gosh.

By the time we arrived in Grenoble, we were all drained off energy and it was super hot there. We ordered room service and crashed. Oh, this is the first hotel that actually has a clock in the room!!
Carter bear wiped out from the trains! poor babe!

Monday June 19: First day in Grenoble
(Fortress on top of a hill over looking the city)

Grenoble is nestled at the base of the Alps in Southern France. It is so amazing to see these giant straight up sheer mountains surrounding the whole city. It’s hot and humid here. Ugh. It’s really hard switching from Spanish to French. It’s weird to hear it and especially hard trying to speak it. I want to speak Spanish to everyone!

Our first day in Grenoble wasn’t such a great one. Carter was done with all of our traveling and was upset most of the day. I tried to venture out but he ended up being upset the entire time! So I had to head back to the room and let him sleep.

For dinner, we took a stroll down the streets to find a restaurant. We found a cute little quaint French style restaurant. French you say? Hello you are in France Kristy what else is it supposed to be?! When I say French, I mean the cuisine. Since Grenoble is so close to Italy, there are a lot of Italian type restaurants. Anyhoo…we had a fabulous meal. Rj and I both had the best salad ever. It was spinach with little sautéed raviolis! Yum! Then for the main course we had the grilled lamb. It was DELISH!! Gosh the food here is SO good! Our tummies are full and happy! And once again, we forgot our camera! AH! so no photos of our scrumptous food! :(

No comments: